Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Mission Letter: week 3


So I am over half way done with my stay here at the MTC! so crazy! I have 21/2 weeks left and then I will get a reassignment (unless I get my visa). I am so so excited! But I also love it here :).  I FINALLY got to see Wyatt! It was soo fun! and as I was on my way to write this email I ran into him again!  Also Chisa Sawada from school is here and I have seen her a couple times!  I CANNOT wait for Lindsey to get here!!!!  She won't be in my zone unfortunately because we aren't getting any new missionaries this coming week but we will most likely have our classrooms on the same floor so I can't wait to see her! She is going to love it :).  Also I get to host new missionaries this week so I am praying that I will see her when she gets here so I can take her around to get her books and to her classroom and residence and stuff!  I met a couple missionaries who have family in Kennewick and they said Westover sounded familiar to them so a little shout out and love to the Kennewick Westovers!
 
This week has been super fun!  Every day we do gradually more SYL (speak your language) with portuguese.  Monday we spoke only portuguese until the end of breakfast, Tuesday until the beginning of lunch, Wednesday until 3:30, Thursday until the end of dinner... and since today is P-day we got a break.  It helps a ton to do SYL because then you figure out the things you say all the time and can learn how to say them in Portuguese.  We are gradually getting better and better... but still oh so far from there haha but it's fun!  Earlier this week our teacher was helping us with lessons and how we can't just plan out what to say in Portugues because our investigators are real people, not robots.  It portuguese the word "robots" sounds like "hobos" Sister Hardester thought it sounded like "ovos" (which is eggs in portuguese) so she was like "oh our investigators are people not... eggs?" and our teacher started laughing and said it again for us to understand and then sister Hardester was like "oh so our investigators are people not... hobos?" and we all started cracking up haha our teacher was like "Hobos are poeple too!" and he had to write the word out until we realized it was robots.  It was a funny moment but I don't know if that made any sense typed out haha.
 
My district is:
Me!
Sister Stone: From Denver, Colorado... Brazil Fortaleza East Mission
Sister Hardester: From San Jose, California... Brazil Fortaleza East Mission
Sister Neilson: From Austin, Texas... Brazil Fortaleza East Mission
(a new sister who had surgery and is waiting for it to heal) Sister Spencer: Fort Collins, Colorado... Brazil Campinas Mission
Elder Pettita: Georgia... Brazil Porto Alegre North Mission
Elder Kinney: North Carolina... Brazil Porto Alegre North Mission
Elder Preciado: Cameron Park, California... Brazil Fortaleza East Mission
Elder Evans: Texas... Fortaleza East Mission
Elder Marcum: San Jose California... Fortaleza East Mission
Elder Carrillo: Deluth(spelling), Minnesota... Fortaleza East Mission
Elder Cotton: Texas... Porto Alegre North Mission
Elder Seawell: Georgia... Porto Alegre North Mission
 
Okay I am in such a hurry today but some funny/interesting/random things:
Elder Marcum is maybe the funniest person I've ever met and he looks kind of like Winnie the Pooh... he told us that he thought he grabbed his Bible while packing for his mission and he accidentally grabbed the Hobbit and didn't realized until he was unpacking here hahah cracks me up everytime I think about it.  Also, there are "narnia holes" in the residence so people hide things in the rooms for people to find and I think we found candy that was a year and a half old (the letters with it were from 2011)... YUM haha.  Last Friday we got to teach a real Brazilian!! and he was very good looking (I am seeing a trend with these Brazilians...) and we went in the room to teach him and it smelled so bad! and I thought that he had been farting in the room and I was so grossed out, the longer we talked to him the worse it was and I seriously coulnd't believe that he would just keep farting while we were in there trying to teach him! When the time was up we walked out and went back to our classroom which also smelled terribly only to find out that there had been a sulfur explosion at the stadium (right down the road) and the smell had leaked into all the buildings. haha so it wasn't poor Pedro... kinda gross but kinda funny.
 
Yesterday I had a tender mercy from God!  It was gym time and it had been raining all day so we weren't going to be able to go out to the field but right before it stopped raining and the sun came out! We were planning on playing beach volleyball as a district but we walked up in sandals and one of the ladies at the field told us we weren't allowed to wear flip flops up to exercise and had to go change our shoes and come back.  We walked back and were kind of annoyed because we have always been allowed to wear them... But I thought maybe this was a blessing in disguise so I tried to have a good attitude and hurried back to change our shoes and head back up to the field.  Since us Sisters had to go back to change our shoes the Elders had started playing soccer so even though I had been so looking forward to volleyball it didn't work out so instead Sister Hardester and I played soccer with each other and wore ourselves out... and the sun was starting to set, and shone on the mountains (my favorite time of day in Utah) and we could overlook the whole valley and the grass was so green and we had been laughing so hard and I just said out loud "I am so happy" and all of the sudden I just realized how awesome that was.  I started to cry a little bit haha (probably mostly out of exhaustion and insanity) but I was/am so happy that I am so happy.  We just laid in the field the rest of the time and just looked up at the sky and all I could think was how happy I was. When I was preparing to leave for my mission I was so afraid that I would be unhappy and I was so afraid for what the future held and yesterday for a second I just knew that God had given that situation to me to let me know that he is taking care of me and that everything is going to be okay, and I can always be happy as I rely on Him.  This is the first time in my life that I have been truly happy on my own but I think it's because I'm not actually on my own... I know I've got someone pretty important looking out for me.  It truly was a blessing in disguise and such a wonderful tender mercy!
 
Okay well that is all for now!  I am so thankful to be here, I am so thankful for all that I am learning.  I am so thankful for the love I am gaining for the Book of Mormon and the amazing experiences in it.
Amor e oracoes for all of you!
Sister Brittany Westover

 
P.S. HUGE THANKS to Lisa Price, the Ellis family, and cameron for my packages and letters this week! Every single one of them totally made my day!! I can't tell you how fun it it to get mail and they were all huge surprises!! I love you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment