Friday, April 12, 2013

Called to Serve

I can't tell you how excited I've been to finally turn in my mission papers! I officially turned them in Sunday, March 17th.  It was so relieving and so stressful at the same time!  I have been looking forward to going on a mission for a few months now (ever since President Monson announced the missionary age change in the October General Conference).  Actually turning in my papers was crazy because not only was I glad to know that it was out of my hands now, but I started to get really nervous knowing that I am actually going!  I got a text from my bishop on Wednesday March 20th, saying they assigned my mission call.  Now I really started freaking out! I didn't know how to contain all the crazy emotions! I was screaming for a bit until I realized I was really starting to freak people out who didn't know what was going on.
On Wednesday, March 27th, I listened to my voicemail at 10:00 AM just after my volleyball class with Brookie and they told me that they had recieved my mision call in the Cannon Center!!!! I rushed right over to pick it up but had to wait to open it until 7:00 that night.... ugh.  I also had a break in classes from 1-4 where I sat on my bed... right next to that little envelope that help my future for the next year and a half.
-sidebar- I am the worst with surprises!! I always, and I mean ALWAYS, peak at my christmas gifts (I know that's like breaking a law or something).  Not only do I peak at presents beforehand but on Christmas Day I wake up while it's still dark and sneak downstairs to see the Santa presents. You would think I'd have outgrown that by now... you would think.  I like to do my detective work to figure out what people are getting me for my birthday or even what other people are getting for theirs! It's a rather unfortunate flaw. -sidebar over-
So... there I sat, next to my mission call. It was like torture.  I was getting sick because I was so nervous and had NO clue what to expect!  The thing is I really really didn't want to mess up this surprise! I knew that everyone would know if I already knew where I was going and besides who wants to fake surprise in front of so many people!  Lucky for me Halie (my roommate) had her sister visiting this week and she was on Halie's bed right next to me.  So I devised a plan: I would open the call but not look at it and then show it to Kimmy, the sister, who would then tell me if I was going in the US or out.  So that is how it went down.  She told me I was going out of the states! Then I think I screamed and rolled around and contorted my body in odd ways for a few minutes until I had gotten the emotions out and headed off to class! So there it is!

Sister Westover:
You are hereby called to serve as a missionary of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  You are assigned to labor in the Brazil, Fortaleza East Mission.

and so on. HOW AMAZING!!! As I was reading that I think I got that same feeling every prospective missionary gets when they here their name (Elder ___ or Sister ___) and realize what an amazing blessing this is.  The gospel has brought so much light and truth and joy into my life and I can't think of a better way to spend the next year and a half of it other than bringing this same blessing into the lives of others.  I LOVE this gospel.  So I choked up a bit realizing that wherever I was assigned, I had been called to the greatest calling of missionary work.  Then I continued to announce where I would be serving and I knew it was right!  This gospel is amazing, it can change lives in the very best way.  I am so excited and so blessed to be a part of such a wonderful work and to bring this to the Brazilians!

No comments:

Post a Comment